Today a published author visited our school. Â Gary Hogg has written many books in a series, featuring a character named Charlie Bacon.
Our 4th & 5th graders started out the morning in the Auditorium listening to Gary speak about writing and being an author. Â After our 4th grade students came in from recess, we went immediately to the gym for a “Writing Workshop”. Â It was really great to spend time writing with an author. Â Gary took the time to inspire our students in many ways.
Some of the writing goals our students might consider include:
- Writing more (spending more time / sharing more thoughts)
- Focus as writers (not worry about having a sharp pencil or taking a bathroom break)
- Writing with more interesting vocabulary (even if we can’tÂ spell things correctly)
- Sharing a specific idea
- for example, not the entire camping trip, just one small part of the trip
- Using the skill of “revision” or “revising” in order to make things better
- Revise: add, remove, and move words and phrases